18 January 2015

Soft spot for morons

Well I went and did it again. I lost a bunch of money on a motorcycle deal. You'd think by now I'd learn I'll never make any money dabbling in old Japanese junk. I had about 500 bucks wrapped up in a pretty nice old Honda with no title. It was just taking up room in the garage and I wanted it gone. I took the first serious bite I got on a trade. First off, the kid drove an hour to get here. Second, he's a fairly broke country boy with a love for motorcycles. He was a harmless kid, lives at home, twenty years old, drives a beater s10 with a rebel flag painted on the roof. Well, I shouldn't have been in such a hurry but I didn't figure I'd get another bite on the bike so I went ahead with the deal and now I have a hundred year old Belgian double barrel shotgun that someone scotch-brited all the bluing off. Now if you spend a few moments online you'll discover this gun ain't worth shit. You can't shoot modern shotgun shells in it, there aren't any parts available, and a gun with the bluing removed isn't worth much regardless of age. The market was flooded with cheap Belgian shotguns around the turn of the century and they just don't have much of a value. But, the kid was so excited and reminded me of myself just a few short years ago, I couldn't help but go ahead. The enjoyment he'll get out of messing with that bike is payment enough. That's what I keep telling myself anyhow. I could use the money but the problem with money is you just spend it and then it's gone. Ahh, you only live once I suppose. I went through the hassle of getting a title on this bike and learned how confusing that process is. Tyler and I had a lot of fun messing with it and annoying the neighbors when he was here for the 500. It's good to have a bike around for times like that but I'd prefer it be a Triumph next time. Maybe I can pawn this old shotgun off on some bike owner with a soft spot for dumb, enthusiastic 32 year olds that like junk bikes, old guns, and used to be redneck farm boys.

2 comments:

Ride today. Wait for tomorrow. said...

Turn that gun into a lamp!

Luke said...

I sold it to a sheriff in order to have money for roses on Valentine's Day!