17 January 2015

Sunrise on the mountains

As I gazed blankly out the window early this morning, my hands wrist deep in dishwater, I noticed the sun was illuminating only the town water tower, about half a mile west and a little higher than our apartment. As I watched, the tops of the trees across the river turned pink as well. I knew the warm morning sun would soon be shining on all around me, and I recalled my days as a carpenter in Telluride, watching and waiting impatiently as the pink dawn crept down the opposite face of the whitecapped mountains, on its way to my frigid location. I'm not sure if the temperature actually went up, but when the sun finally reached me it felt like the day had officially started; I was warmer, happier, and I would live to make it till lunchtime.

No comments: